Thursday, October 19, 2006

Sitting by Men on Planes

It feels like years since I have been here. C died and went to heaven. He Who Must Be Obeyed had a cobalt-chromium ball put into a shoulder joint right at the time of the funeral. When he was in the hospital I became so sick I didn't go see him until I picked him up at the door, he in a wheel chair me in my Wrangler. The specific gravity of cobalt is 8.9 and chromium is 7.19. I thought his left shoulder might feel a little heavier but he says not.

I was pleased to be in charge for a week or so. Now, I will be glad for the help, especially because the ice maker is leaking water again, another case of built in uselessness. We have had it fixed once or twice already and the frig isn't that old.

Yesterday I took him to his talented surgeon to take the stitches out. My sore throat has turned into a pain between my shoulder blades. We were both ready to throw in the towel until I made meatloaf and baked potatoes for lunch. Life is like lunch, sometimes it is leftovers and sometimes it is meatloaf.

I have coughed into my pillow night and day and wondered what I should write about. I thought about the nasty situation with the FCC and the communication giants wanting to hog up all of the air in the country. That is dangerous and makes me mad. My only hope is that our Omaha World Herald, still employee owned, will retain its integrity. I once taught with a journalism teacher who felt the OWH was very biased and leaned to the right. The Powell kid really dropped the ball and disappointed me with letting the FCC get so out of control. I think it is about fairness to the citizens not capitalism when it comes to information. Obscenity is a whole other matter.

My nightly local radio station, KFAB, is in hot water and owned by Clear Channel; but still has enough local programming to get its nose in a wringer by one outspoken afternoon personality. He aired a parody about our northside violence, angered some outspoken people, was asked by the city council to apologize; and then wrote a parody about the council. So it goes.

I do care about what is happening to the information highway. I like being able to email, google, blog, and snoop into everything that is and is not my business. I don't want it to change. I don't want a gatekeeper shutting me out of the traffic.

I was going to write about sitting by men on planes. Next time, I will.

No comments: