Thursday, November 06, 2008

Cider House Rules

Sometimes I hear something that is so sweet it never leaves me. It comes back to mind over and over; I can hear the inflection in Michael Caine's voice as his Dr. Larch tells the orphan boys before they go to sleep, "Goodnight, you princes of Maine. You kings of New England." I wonder if I had read the book Cider House Rules, by John Irving first, would it have had such a profound and memorable effect. Every boy should go to sleep with words like that in his ears.

When I saw the movie, I wasn't aware of the fact that
Lasse Hallström directed it and that Charlize Theron was in it. It was a wonderful movie, sad, memorable, full of angst. Just like life.

I don't go out to movies much anymore, but the following ones I have enjoyed on television have been directed by Hallstrom: "What's Eating Gilbert Grape," "Chocolat," "The Shipping News." According to Oprah today we should all go see "Seven Pounds" when it comes out soon.


Good night you princes and princesses of America, you kings and queens of North America. You are loved.

No comments: