Thursday, November 12, 2009

Six Degrees


According to an urban myth, everybody in the world can be linked to one another through six other individuals. We all seem to be connected! So the title of the magazine can represent this six degrees of separation, the yearly average temperature in the Helsinki area, or a direction on a compass, up north and a bit to the east, like Finland itself…

I have a Google Alert on the words Finns, Finnish.  It gives me links to news events that have those words within the body or title.  Tonight through it I found a Finnish Magazine in English called Six Degrees: Finland's English Language Magazine.  Writer after writer had published small essays about their impressions of Finland. It is always interesting to read the expat view, even of a foreign country.  Foreign?  What a strange word when I grew up thinking I was almost a native Finn.  I continue to wonder why my ancestral mothers could not let it go once they had made the decision to emmigrate in the mid-1800's.

No comments: