Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Our Own Epiphany Child


A Great-granddaughter is two today.
Being born on Epiphany is memorable.
Happy Birthday beautiful child.



The Finnish name "Loppiainen" refers to the end of the Christmas season, January 6 traditionally commemorates the wise men's arrival to pay homage to the infant Jesus. An older feast day than Christmas itself, it has been celebrated since the third century. Originally it was considered the birth date of Jesus, and later his baptismal date.  Many Finns take down their Christmas decorations after Epiphany, although some still wait until January 13, St Knut's Day (Nuutinpäivä), to take their Christmas trees out.  Perhaps I will had eKnuff of the tree by tomorrow and will take it out then.

3 comments:

Hildred said...

We had a wonderful 'Epiphany Sunrise' this morning, - bringing light out of the darkness. Do you know the fairly modern hymn "I Am the Light of the World?" Both words and music were written by Jim Strathdee in 1967. Lovely tune for Epiphany, sung with great feeling

Jana said...

Willo,

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Stop by in a few days and I'll have my "Most Inspiring Films of 2009" posted.

What films do you find the most inspiring?

Jana

Willo said...

Oh, Jana, I haven't seen a film for so long that I have to dig around in the memory files to find one. I am a real melancholy Finn that loves the stories with great heart tugging relational plots with moral dilemna.

I can still hear Dr. Larch tell the orphan boys "Good-night you princes of Maine, you kings of New England." from John Irving's book "Cider House Rules."

And I still weep if I watch "Dr. Zhivago."