Friday, July 23, 2010

I wonder what you think of the Facebook phenomenon?  When I first signed on I found it so overwhelming after two days that I went off and didn't log into it for many days.

A few days ago I had a fairly long discussion in the little box on Facebook, with a brother in law who was on at the same time.  He wondered why I didn't call for his email address instead of having him email it to me.  I told him I was a phonophobe.  I would rather write three pages of stuff than dial a phone.  He thought it very odd.  Another brother in law asked HWMBO why I didn't talk to him on the phone.  He told him I don't talk to anyone.

I do, of course, talk to people on the phone.  In fact on the days that I feel lonely and friendless, I am glad for a telemarketer who is taking a poll and has lots of questions.  When I call the Microsoft help people in India, it is nice to know what time it is there and how is the weather?  I spoke to a Sony Television fellow from the Manila who helped me find all those digital channels that the new sets decode without purchasing cable.  It took forever for both of us, me letting the channels roll along, he waiting.  We got quite well acquainted.  When that was done, I could have gone through the same thing for the analog channels but I was exhausted and he probably needed to clear his head.

But I can't go on and on this way about the telephone.  Once I wished I had a cell phone.  What would I do with it but call AAA with a car problem.  Not having driven for a couple of years, I sure don't need one anymore.  I can put a house phone beside the walking machine, if I think I will fall off of that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I recall joking with you about how hitting the floor might restart one's heart . . . and I wonder how far above the floor the phone would best be placed?

(Not being aware of the walking machine hardware, and what one might get hung up on, maybe floor level is not good.)