Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Ash Wednesday

A priest marks a cross of ashes on a worshipper's forehead.As I write this our community at Holy Cross is gathering for the liturgical imposition of ashes.  Our pastor will mark the forehead of each worshiper with black ashes in the shape of a cross.  With each imposition, our pastor will say "Remember that thou art dust and to dust thou shall return." 


And why am I not there instead of here?  Not driving is such a confinement.  One adjusts mentally when they know there is no sense in taking such chances on a whim.  Pain requires a bit more medication than is good for operating machinery, as the label says. "No alcohol," either. So be it.

Henri Nouwen (photo)
" I know that Lent is going to be a very hard time for me. The choice for your way has to be made every moment of my life.  I have to choose thoughts that are your thoughts, words that are your words, and actions that are your actions. There are not times or places without choices. And I know how deeply I resist choosing you."



- Henri J. M. Nouwen
"Please, Lord, be with me at every moment and in every place. Give me the strength and the courage to live this season faithfully, so that, when Easter comes, I will be able to taste with joy the new life that you have prepared for me."


3 comments:

Hildred said...

I missed this sombre service too, Willo. We have no pastor at this time, and although we were invited by the Roman Catholic priest ( a dear man) to go across the road to Our Lady of Lourdes for the Imposition of Ashes other commitments kept us from going, sadly.

Hildred said...

I forgot to say thank you for the prayer, - I am making up the bulletins for next Sunday and would like to include it on the empty back page. It is so relevant to our lack of discipline.

Willo said...

I hope I was clear about the words being those of Henri Nouwen. I get a daily meditation from the good Canadian people that keep his work available.