Wednesday, October 13, 2004

The Presidential Debate Tonight

He Who Must Be Obeyed has gone to encourage a brother. The brother is about to take on 40 radiation treatments for cancer. They are together in Wyoming tonight in an elegant RV. I miss being there in spite of my reasons for not going.

I was glad to stay home for several reasons. The only time I can throw useless things away is when he is gone. Even my own useless things find their way back out of the trash cans to be stashed here or there. Tonight a lot of stuff is on its way to the land fill.

Quite a while ago I learned not to clean his closet. He came close to not talking to me. That lasted a couple of hours, I suppose, and every time he did talk it was to wonder how I would feel if he threw away my yard shoes, or my painting shirts. To tell the truth, it wouldn't matter much to me.

Before he drove out a couple of days ago in the morning darkness, he kissed me like he meant it and said he might call a couple of times while he was gone. He called twice before the first day was over. I asked him when he called today if my phone calls were over. No answer. So who knows?

This morning I heard a presentation on "Healing Touch." It was interesting and I know first hand that it works. There was a time before and after a back surgery, before the Pain Clinic, that if it weren't for the warm, healing hands of my husband, I might have committed hara-kiri. (I looked it up, it is right.)I told him how healing and soothing it was to me then. At my age a person better tell people how they appreciate them.

In a half an hour we have a nephew that is on the camera crew for the Presidential Debate in Arizona. Having taught television production, I am going to be watching those camera shots. I prefer the split screen in the debate situation if the correct camera is on the candidates, otherwise it looks like they are looking away from one another. Maybe they are! The shots looking down on people are demeaning in my mind; and the ones looking up at them are a little grandiose, don't you think?

I had a camera crew on the "...and you are not John Kennedy" remark. The spin room went absolutely still for what seemed a long time and when it was over I thought the place would explode. Actually my students were in the spin room to do interviews when it was over. It was a memorable experience for this teacher and her high school students.

Work was and is good. I have great memories; and cleaner cabinets today.



No comments: