Saturday, May 21, 2005

Raking Sand into Patterns

Good things happen. Wonderful folks people my life and I read and swim. My main man is doing a lot of cooking, for the two of us and also for company. He is grilling marinated meats and vegetables on a new George Forman grill. We have had it for two years and never have read the instruction book until now. I am impressed.

Yesterday a son and daughter-in-law drove to Omaha from Wichita in their Corvette. They are a handsome couple and the car suits them. His wife told a little story about how when they first got it, he spent some time in the garage figuring out how to get in and out of it so it wouldn't hurt his knees.

We visited about Meyers/Briggs personality evaluations. This particular son is probably similar to my father and myself. Work managers put people through these processes, as do counselors. I have always enjoyed the introspection. Some think of it as a waste of time. Some of us find out why we are so lonely and yet seek solitude. We yearn for simplicity and find complexity intriguing. It is such times that mowing the lawn is grounding and brings one back to meaning.

This was the first time we have seen them since Christmas. He brought us Finn Cream and licorice, as he has recently returned from a business trip to Latvia and Finland. It was good to compare travel notes with him. It was a nice little comparison of his recent travel and that of mine, with my mother, in 1980. We used FinnRail, he drove. He said Finland had traffic well figured out and didn't tolerate speeding in Helsinki or in the country side; the language is complicated and wonderful. He, like us, was amazed at the cleanliness everywhere. There are no plastic wrappers blowing about anywhere. The sand is raked into beautiful patterns in public places.

If yesterday's violin turns out to be 'decent' and not worth anything, he would love to have it. I would love for him to have it...but not until I find out if it is reglueable. Of course it isn't a Strad, not in a million year would it be one of the 12 made in 1734. No one would be so dumb as to let it come unglued, nor sit on a table in the sun. How silly of me to even think about the possibility. I am irksomely gullible.

Life stages, finances, and time management all seem to be the tune that most of us dance to. This place that I find myself suits me nicely, it is a kind and gentle place, with an abundance of years, money, and time. Life is good.

No comments: