Thursday, January 18, 2007

What is it All About?

The world we live in is too much. The super markets are bewildering, the new housing is obscene, wars are worse than ever before, every thing is over the top. I can't make any sense of any of it.

Art Buchwald died, he knew he would and he wrote a column to be published after his death. He said some things I agree with. He said his mind keeps turning to food and he has found it hard to pass up a banana split. That makes sense to me.

He thinks it is egocentric to believe that someone is put on earth for a reason. He would like to think his last column might wind up on a cereal box or be repeated every Thanksgiving Day. If anything I ever wrote ended up on a cereal box, I would hope it would be "Eat your vegetables."

It would be a good thing if we were here for a reason other than to make love and war. Making love in the 50's gave me a reason for being here, five to be exact. The eternal question for me is what about after all that? The five, or six, or seven are off with their own reason for being here. After working and saving for a rainy day, or in my case my old age, then what? More precisely, NOW what?

Buchwald ends his posthumous column, "What's it all about, Alfie?"

4 comments:

Cordelia said...

Maybe Buchwald was talking about the kind of believe that "one is put on earth for a purpose" that derives from individual ego(t)ism, and not from some larger sense of the place of humankind on earth. When I read what he wrote, I suspected he was talking about the dangerous potential inherent in the idea that certain people, and not all, have "a mission." Dangerous thinking, that, these days. I will miss Buchwald, I think, because my father, a newspaper man himself, now gone, always looked forward to his column. And so another link to my past also passes away.

Willo said...

Cordelia, Thanks for the comment. I agree with you about some of the purposes people think they are ordained with. Very dangerous, as you say.

Sorry not to get back to you. A spinal surgery has had me flattened too many days.

Willo said...

Cordelia, Thanks for the comment. I agree with you about some of the purposes people think they are ordained with. Very dangerous, as you say.

Sorry not to get back to you. A spinal surgery has had me flattened too many days.

Cordelia said...

Dear Willo-- Hope you are recovering well. I haven't been as active on my blog as I'd like (phenomenalfield.blogspot.com), but have now slightly more time to commit to the effort. You may, of course, delete this and/or the address of the blog from public comments; I just wanted to say hello back.