Saturday, December 22, 2007

Winter Solstice


It is good to have the cabinets on the wall instead of in pieces on the table. I tried not to get crabby. He Who Must Be Obeyed worked very hard for at least 10 days on this project. He didn't do much to curb his grumpiness. Grumpy and Crabby are not good bedfellows, or any kind of fellows. But that is a thing of the past and with a little work here and there it is done. Clean and tidy do wonders for us.

I love the first day of winter. Though the Winter Solstice lasts an instant, the term is also used to refer to the full 24-hour period. Sometimes it is called Midwinter.

In the bleak midwinter, frosty wind made moan,
Earth stood hard as iron, water like a stone;
Snow had fallen, snow on snow, snow on snow,
In the bleak midwinter, long ago.

The pink link to Midwinter takes you to the midi tune and a bleak picture. This is absolute pure melancholia. I will take the opportunity to wallow in it, for the rest of the day anyway. Then I must, must, must finish my now too late anyway, cards.
If I don't see you here in the next couple of days, have a Wonderful Christmas.

1 comment:

Hildred said...

Willo: I have a lovely rendition of Bleak Midwinter, - an accompaniment to a handbell solo. I plan to play it as a Prelude for tomorrow's service, - and as a Postlude, a farewell to Advent - Lo, He Comes with Clouds Descending.

Congratulations on your great new cupboards! And happiness at Christmas to you and HWMBO..