Sunday, May 18, 2008

Be Presentable

We attend Saturday Evening church services. It occurs at a time of day that is manageable, pain-wise. The small congregation is cozy and warm. HWMBO always maneuvers our dear E in her chariot to the rail for communion while I fetch the glasses for us. It is a predictable little routine, lovely, fulfilling, "bread for the journey," so to speak.

Last night I was met at the door by the pastor asking if I would read, with him, the Lesson, which was the First Creation Story. Of course I would. He had marked the paragraphs that I would read. It was very enjoyable. After reading aloud all winter the five tomes of history and one Afghanistan novel, I could take on two pages of Scripture. I am glad I was 'presentable.'

The preaching was on the text we read together. God can create order out of chaos was the theme so we have hope today. No it isn't a science lesson, nor a history lesson. It is a story to let the Isrealistes in Babylonian captivity know that God is with them/us and can order whatever chaos we experience. Thank God.

2 comments:

Hildred said...

Willo,
Nice to know you were reading the same Genesis passage that I got such pleasure out of listening to on Sunday morning. I would imagine that our Liturgy is the same - the Anglican and the Lutheran.

Beautiful language in this Chapter of Genesis, - poetic and lyrical and so imaginative.

Willo said...

Hildred, I just read your account of the Liturgical Reading and I found it so beautifully written.

Yes, I am certain that we have the same Readings, as do the Roman Catholics. I love the connection and the similarity of our faith traditions.