Thursday, September 24, 2009

Fast Eddie


Our little life slows down to a comfortable routine. We enjoy our meals together which often consist of homemade soup canned and/or frozen with a slice of homemade bread with grape jelly. Meals are fast and easy.  The bread machine kneeds, rises and bakes a loaf of whole wheat and rye bread every five or six days.

We are starting the yard clean up with the calendar start of the season. Today is the second day of fall and would have been my mother's 97th birthday were she still alive.  I am thankful for her parenting as I am that of my dad's. His quiet way with a daughter after losing two sons at birth was perhaps unusual.  I loved my childhood.

We end our days with an evening swim in 90 degree water, and perhaps a glass of wine. It is otherworldly to watch  the clouds turn red, pink, at twilight; and finally darken while we watch the stars come out one by one. A quick outdoor shower and a dash under the down coverlet to watch the nine o'clock news.

Last night late I got a phone call from a cousin with a newly diagnosed cancer.  Nope, she isn't going to let them cut, burn and poison her, the triple torture; she is going to lick the tumor with coral calcium and two hours of sunshine a day, without suncreen nor sunglasses.  Within 31 days she will be cancer free and her body will go from cancer growing acidic to a cancer killing alcaline base.  She isn't going to die until she gets her life story written and will I type it for her if she sends me the chapters handwritten?  "Yes, I will."

I always loved her tall wild tales of adventures and mis-adventures. We ended the phone visit howling with laughter over her leaving Fast Eddie in a Tennessee jail on thier honeymoon; and she went home to find his kids loading up her furniture into a truck.  They didn't leave until they put everything back into its place in her house.

No comments: