Monday, December 14, 2009

“Jäälyhty” or Finnish “Ice Lantern”













A double cousin...a nice chap related to me through both my paternal and maternal grandmothers sides of the family, sent me the Finnish translation for these amazing ice candles. Our connection goes back before our people immigrated to the USA.  Little did we know about this before he so skillfully researched my family.

We have been making these ice lanterns a couple of  years now and enjoy them especially during these deep, dark, cold winter nights. We set one out in front, under the basket ball hoop beside the driveway, for our neighbors to enjoy.  Instead of a candle we put a solar light in that one. Apparently it was too cloudy for the little solar plant to work today.

Photographing them is a little tricky and as you see I took the picture in the early evening and the snow is still much too white.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've learned about these gorgeous ice candles only from you in the past couple of years when you've sent the pictures of yours. I assume that Jaalyhty means Finnish ice candles. Do you have a more literal translation? If I lived where the winters were a bit colder, I'd surely be trying to make some despite my lack of Finnish blood! !

Reel Inspiration said...

I love this!

You should send this pic to my mom.

Jana