Saturday, May 29, 2010

Mid-Town Wild Life


It is a happy event to observe a little bit of nature.  This time it is in my planter in the roots of my flowers.  I was first made aware of it when I was watering the pots along the house wall in the front yard.  My habit is to fill the pots to nearly brimming;  in the midst of holding the hose, up from the ground in the middle of the planter came four or five black little blind jumpers.  At first I thought they were rats and I was a little taken aback and horrified.

Not rats at all; they are baby bunnies so young their eyes are not open yet.



The little mother has dug a deep hole and lined it with grass.  I have never seen her near it, but she must feed them as they are growing.  I think it is clever of her to jump up into the planter to create her nursery.  It makes watering the flowers a little tricky.

A small thing, perhaps, but heart warming for this soul who longs for a walk in a pasture again.

No comments: