Monday, July 26, 2010

Roofers Stargazing

Back in my teaching career days, I had a student that had such a quick wit that he was a delight to be around.  He is on face-book and when I wrote on my wall that I have shingles and felt like I had bumped my head on a cabinet corner, his retort was 'roofers on a roof seeing stars'. How delightful.  You know what they say about punning, it is most certainly true, as we memorized in our confirmation lessons.

My awakening dream took me back to my teaching days and the high school where I worked for 16 years as a television production teacher with a group that put the school news on the cox cable access channel in Omaha.  My nightmares have gone from rattlesnakes to teaching and I can see the correlation.  Anyway, I felt such profound relief, in my dream, when I told a fellow teacher that this would be my last year.  "Now, if I taught say, English Literature, I might go on."  How strange is that a thing to say.  Maybe not too much so;  I got my first ulcer with those cable deadlines.

I found out what the facial shingles really feel like this morning after my spinal- stenosis med wore off during the night.  I felt like I had been kicked in the face by a horse.  Thank heaven the nerve medication works for the shingles also.  I don't mean to rattle on about myself so much.  Life is so much more than our bodily miscreants.

Again today, I will work on the errors in my Liz book, while learning MS Office Word 2010.  All of those upgrades in the past three years would give anyone the roofer's stargazing syndrome.  However, I find things in this upgrade much more to my liking, even if the learning curve is still there.  Hopefully, I can master a little bit of it that I need to plod on.

1 comment:

Hildred said...

Willo, I am so sorry you are suffering from shingles, - I know what dreadful pain it can cause and how debilitating it is to the spirit when you are trying to do something creative.

I hope that it passes soon and doesn't linger with you.