Thursday, March 31, 2005

Too Close to a Monkey

This morning Kevin Costner was going to be interviewed on Good Morning America. I was about to shower and get ready to go do some altar guild tasks. Not wanting to miss one minute of that interview, I probably took the fastest shower of my life, except for the time the snake was sliding around on the top of the shower doors.

It was a nice interview. His latest movie hits the theaters soon. He has gained 20 pounds either for the film or because of his recent marriage. Diane Sawyer interviewed him just prior to the wedding in Aspen. Some of that footage was replayed. Lucky for Sawyer, lucky for me. Looking at Kevin Costner is worth a quick shower.

Reflecting on my quick shower and the Duke University study of the 12 thirsty rhesus monkeys giving up cherry juice to look at pictures of the top monkey in the group and the males giving up a drink to look at the back ends of female monkeys, I thought I am not too far from that. I would give up cherry juice any time to watch a few minutes of a television interview with Costner.

What is the matter with us, or me, or those thirsty monkeys? It looks like we are hardwired this way. I suppose it is a good thing or both man and monkeys would have died out shortly after the first murder. The study went on to state that none of them gave up that nice cherry juice to look at the bottom of their social group. Please notice I did not say "bottoms." Kurt Anderson, Studio 360, probably got it from Nature magazine.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I’ve recently started a blog, the information you provide on this site has helped me tremendously. Thank you for all of your time & work.