Monday, November 20, 2006

Small Talk

People who have a gift for small talk amaze me. Maybe Finnish folks as a rule are not as glib as our more gabby cousins. I say cousins in a more universal way. Most of my cousins are also Finnish or half Finnish Americans and are about as small talk handicapped as I am.

Family reunions and Class reunions separate the small talkers from the shy "lump in the throat" people. Debra Fine says the ability to connect with people through small talk is an acquired skill.

I married into a huge family; my husband is the fifth of ten siblings and not all of them have the gift of gab. But their heritage is Norwegian and we all know how morose they can be. The term "dark Norwegian" was exemplified by Edvard Munch in his "Scream." Omaha's Joslyn Art Museum featured a traveling exhibit of Odd Nerdrum some years ago. Some of his works could give a person nightmares.

Being a melancholy Finn married to a dark Norwegian I regret that our house isn't filled with chatty small talkers. It would be a good self improvement study. The Internet seems to be helpful. Along with Debra Fines suggestions there are more on the Net, one is titled "How to Make Small Talk." The tips and warnings at the bottom of the page are worth reading, but if someone pulled her exit line on me I would never bother to speak to them again.

On second thought maybe it is too late to "small talk" if it simply is not one's nature.

No comments: