Saturday, February 17, 2007

A Love Affair

"The Boy With the Willow Flute" 1889, Christian Skredsvig

G.K. Chesterton said "Let your religion be less of a theory and more of a love affair."

My forever friend, now on the other side, once gave me a little flip calendar called "Voices: Words That Shaped Our Souls." It is daily wisdom for a new century. The gift was just right for me, as I am one of those people with the attention span of an ant and my favorite things to read are quotations, Proverbs, and short meditations.

As I capitolized the word, proverbs, I wondered a bit about why these little bits of conventional wisdom are called: pro verbs. So I hunted around for meanings and proverb is literally "before action or state of being."

"After the verb to love, the verb to help is the most beautiful verb in the world," Bertha von Suttner (1843-1914). From Answers.com

I have a good friend who calls her deceased friend, her "Dead Friend." I prefer to think of my forever friend as not dead, but somewhere else, because everywhere I look she appears to me in the books she gave me, a counted cross stitched picture of the Bath Cathedral we visited together, letters she wrote with handwriting so small I nearly had to get out a magnifying glass to read them, the His Essance candle made in SD of the scents of Jesus time, book marks, two beautiful kitchen towels I hang rather than use, memories of our Saturday phone calls.

I have a framed print of "The Boy With the Willow Flute" by Christian Skredsvig 1889, waiting for me when I go home to SD again. Perhpas I was too bold when she was near death and asked me if there was anything I wanted. The print was an internet hunt, inexpensive and came to her in short order from the Skredsvig home/gallery. She fussed over the mat and framing and changed it at least once. Of course I wanted it. She and I spent an amazing month in Norway a few years ago. I am lonely for her on Saturdays especially.

No comments: