Thursday, February 01, 2007

Spiritual Literacy

The sub-title of the book, Spiritual Literacy is "Reading the Sacred in Everyday Life." A friend came to visit and brought it to me with a printed interview by Martin Marty of "Grace Matters" with Mary Ann Brussat.

The Introduction states that "Spiritual literacy is practiced in all the world's wisdom traditions. Medieval Catholic monks called it "reading the book of the world." I am very anxious to get into the body of the book. Frederic and Mary Ann Brussat co-authored this book, in order that we readers might find the sacred in our own culture today.

I once went through a 'God Sighting' experience with the St. Timothy congregation. We became aware of God in our everyday life. That was when I put away the terms, luck and coincidence. If we think of God in our happy unexpected events, does that mean that God is micro-managing the bad stuff? I choose to think not. If we are loved by God, can we think that the serendipitous delights are put in our path to make us more aware of Him? It is all so mysterious.

If you wonder where I have been lo these many days; I am home healing from a back surgery last week, actually on my birthday; less pain is a gift. We in Omaha, are blessed with excellent medical care. My chosen Neurosurgeon is skilled and concerned; he performed a laminectomy on the 4th lumbar vertebra. This is my second second spine surgery in less than four years. My post surgery instructions are excellent: sleep late, take a nap, go to bed early. Sit up for 15 to 30 minutes at a time. I have exceeded that so it is back to my comfy, warm bed and my new book!

No comments: