Friday, March 21, 2008

Splendid Spring Visions

Sandhill Cranes along the Platte River in Nebraska. 300,000 stop on their way north, spending a month to gain about a third of their total body weight to fortify the flight for some as far as Siberia. They are simply magnificent.


This herd or mares were in the corner of a pasture in Kieth County, Nebraska.

Their friendly demeanor drew me in and as I stood by the fence with my camera one came over to inspect her city visitor.



No, this is no camera trick. She put her nose over the fence and tolerated a friendly pat or two, and filled the view finder of the camera.

This baby was only minutes old and not black, but one of the beautiful Herefords that dotted all the prairies of Harding County when I grew up.

I was not taking any chances on this new mother by getting any nearer.
The Canada Snow Geese filled the sky and the stubble field along I 29 the morning we drove to the Black Hills. They were a little preview of the sights and sounds of spring in the days to come.

No comments: