Saturday, May 02, 2009

My Shepherds.


The old photo is much like the tasks of my shepherds.

It comes from a rich source, the American Memory collection at the Library of Congress.


Tonight our Pastor spoke on the Old Testament Lesson, Psalm 23 which we read responsively. It has a calming effect on a lot of us. The Gospel reading was John 10:11-18 "I am the good shepherd," which is about sheep herding and hired men.

He pointed out that there is only one person in his congregation that has had experience as a shepherd, and that of course being He Who Sits Beside Me in Church. Needless to say I loved the service. My father was a herder when he was young. I think our Pastor is a gifted shepherd.

Our dear, dear Elsa is in hospice and no longer sits beside us in her chariot. My shepherd herded it with her, to the communion rail for several years.

1 comment:

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

The more I understand about sheep, the more I appreciate the biblical comparison!

Thanks for your visit to my blog! You are welcome anytime!