Saturday, December 11, 2010

Pears Galore

Summer's Bounty:  60 Quarts Done, More to Do

I married a man that can can.  It is amazing to watch him fill the three large kettles with freshly peeled and sliced pears. He is almost fanatical about sterilizing the jars, lids and funnels. I am not much help until it is time to wash up. He uses an apple peeler that he purchased at the hardware store.  

This year the pears were so sweet that only a fourth cup of sugar was added to a large kettle.  It is nice to know where one's food comes from, what is in it, and how sterile it is.  A dish of canned pears with cottage cheese and a few walnuts is oh, so good.


1 comment:

Bobbi Boe said...

Willo that sounds marvelous!
Now I wish we lived much closer so I could get a jar of those yummy pears!

Well I guess it would be great to live closer for a number of other reasons, specially to be able to sit and visit for long hours as you always have so many interesting stuff to say!
( yes, there was a sale on exclamation !!! marks so I took advantage and got tons of them!)

Best wishes of a Happy Holiday!
much love
Bobbi