Monday, November 15, 2004

Things One Can Learn From Staying in Bed Watching TV

I did not go out to walk this morning, instead I crawled back under the covers and turned on C-Span II. I was hoping to catch the last of Book TV from the weekend and what I got was an eye-opening and brain snapping view of one Tammy Bruce. I had never heard of her, as my flirting with NOW ended almost as fast as it began with a women's lunch group on the campus of the University of Nebraska at Omaha in 1975. Believe me that was a mind bender for this Stepford Wife of the '50's.

Back to Tammy Bruce. She really irritated the group at Florida State University. They were anxious to get to the mike and tell her so, too, after her presentation. The main thrust of her speech "Contrary to Public Belief: How Conservative Ideas Empower Women, Gays and Other Minorities," was that group think and labeling are divisive and dangerous.

When I googled her name she came up on, of all things, NewsMax. I should have expected it. A Democrat voting for Bush is as celebrated as an athiest becoming born again. She has many traits that I had no idea NewsMax would listen to. But then what do I know by reading Itar Tass and the BBC.

Jeff Kooperman has some very strong things to say about her. Just to show you my ignorance, who is He?

I guess I am wondering why we didn't hear about her prior to the election? Are people like her shut up by the mainstream media? If I had been reading NewsMax, I would have probably been aware of her stridant politics.

No comments: