Thursday, January 19, 2006

Trying to Forget

Last night we watched a local access channel lecture from the University of Nebraska Medical Center, one of the two teaching hospitals in Omaha. A person can get too much information. It isn't always helpful. Last night's lecture was on genetics, and our genetic predisposition to act like the parents we always said we would never be like. It cannot be helped, it seems.

This afternoon He Who Must Be Obeyed was acting a little too much like my father-in-law did, God rest his soul, and I told him so. He asked me for an example and I gave him one he didn't like any better than I did. "Why do you remember those things?" he asked me.

Why indeed I have no idea. Sometimes I feel like I never forget anything. My mother told me that I was born on the kitchen table of the homestead house of my parent's first home. That was way too much information. Do you think I can forget it? Never have, and probably never will.

It came back to haunt me again with an email inquiry from a grand-daughter who was doing an interview for a biology class regarding birthplaces and disease and vaccination. There it was again, the homestead table event. I didn't tell her that but I am sure I gave her more information than her biology class ever needed to hear. Youngsters don't even know what Whooping Cough is; but I spared her wondering what being quarantined meant.

Having the county health department slap a quarantine sign in the front window of your house is about as humiliating as it can get for a kid, whose only entertainment is the street out front and one's playmates. I probably was too young to even read then.

Actually, I am not up at this unholy hour pondering birthing tables, I am giving the devotional reading at a woman's luncheon next week and do I go to my many books? No, I checked it out on the Net and you would be amazed, as I was. Have you checked out the podcasts on devotions? They are certainly aimed at the hip and attractive. It makes me wonder if everything has to be tied to a television program or a movie today. Is that all people think about?

No comments: