Wednesday, June 14, 2006

FinnFest 2006

I read that procrastination is a good thing on Maeda's Blog Simplicity. It can make for more stress than a person can endure, sometimes. When one completes one of those lines on the TO DO list, the relief creates enough endorpines to make it worth the waiting.

I registered for FinnFest2006 yesterday. The plane tickets are purchased, the lists of events for four days is stapled together, and I am set to go. It is during the last week in July. As I look over the Cultural Programming
Series
, I wonder how I can possibly take it all in. Every topic interests me.

"Finns, Saamis, and Laestadians: Delving into our Past." Those Laestadians have a way of edging into our history one way or another. My mother visited the Saamis (Lapps) in Finnish, near lake Inari, while I eyed the raindeer ambling down the street too near for comfort, about arm's length it seemed.

Even Chihuly, who put blown glass orbs in a Finnish river with Finnish glass blowers has a spot with the films.

Not only will the Helsinki Police Choir sing but I see they will also have a panel discussion comparing Police Work in Finland and the USA. After nearly a lifetime of hearing about it, I will hear the kantele played.

There wil be all of this and added to it will be the opportunity to spend a week with my only remaining aunt,my mother's youngest sister and her family.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like lots of fun.
We were suppose to go to spokane for a wedding the 21st of July and I had thought of going to the Finn Fest afterwards but the wedding was changed so will not be going now.
Cave Hills Kid