Sunday, June 18, 2006

Owls, Owls, Owls

I should have put one more 'Owls' in my title. As He Who Must Be Obeyed and I were having our evening swim, we detected some soft fluttering in a pine tree near the pool. There in the branches were four small owls just spreading their wings for the first time. This is the first time we have noticed them, anyway.

They seemed to have no fear of us and I walked right under them before I came into the house. One opened its eyes and blinked at me a couple of times before it nodded off again.

Owls! How fun! I hope their mama gets the moles that are burrowing around under the pear tree. We have our own little ecosystem right out the back door.

Transylvania: farmers used to scare away Owls by walking round their fields naked. We are not going to be scaring the owls away soon.

No comments: