Friday, November 30, 2007

Cake as Symbolic


Cake has a deeper meaning than the amount of calories in each slice. Kids grow up with memories of their birthday cakes, brides look fondly upon photos of their wedding cake, young wives of my era were askance about the 'box cakes' that were new to the grocery shelves. "Oh, it is just a box cake," we might say at the coffee after church.

As my children started to read, I encouraged them to make cake when they could read the directions on the box. I handed the cook book to one of my sons when he was a third grader and was almost horrified when he proceed to make cream puffs and boil the vanilla filling. But a promise is a promise and the results were astonishing.

Early American cooks considered cake, especially chocolate cake, a symbol of well-being. A couple of days ago I made a cake with Seven Minute Icing for my beloved. It was a token of love and well-being. I thought it was beautiful.

No comments: