Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Teaching Old Dogs

Photo: Caleb Jones for NPR


The time marches along.

I am sad about John Updike's death. I have found some news articles on him. I am listening to National Public Radio's "Fresh Air" and they are going to replay some interviews of him previously. The nice thing about the Internet, one can listen to them on the computer as well. I found a couple audio links to him this afternoon. He was a funny fellow...and eloquent. I wish I had read more of his work. His last book will come out this spring. I wish Kurt Vonnegut had not died either. But people die and we miss them when they are gone.

I suppose a person should purposely decide to appreciate those we admire before they die. I have a lot of folks that would fit that description.

The new trick I am trying to learn is a switch-over from Word 2000 to Vista. It would be nice to have a text that I could dog ear. As it is I attempt to decipher the on screen helps. I find my vocabulary is sadly lacking. In over an hour I learned one thing. I had inadvertently locked my document and had to find out how to unlock it to work on it. I reminded myself not to become discouraged and to keep my enthusiasm for the task.

2 comments:

Hildred said...

Hi Willo,
I had not heard of John Updikes death, but I also feel regret. And also for John Mortimer's passing. In one comment on his death it said he died of extreme old age. That gave me quite a shock, as he was only 85 and I have now just started my 85th year.

And let me sympathize with you re Vista, - I struggled and moaned over it at first, but now find it very cooperative and pleasant! Good luck with it.

Willo said...

I am so happy that you said you find Vista 'cooperative and pleasant.' I am determined to learn enough of it to finish my biography of my Great Aunt Liz.

This morning I am again optimistic and eager to get on with it.