Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The Power of the Printed Word

A grandson was here from California for dinner on Maundy Thursday. On Good Friday and Saturday He Who Must Be Obeyed had a manly-man garage sale of machines and large equipment. Men of all sizes and descriptions drove up in vans and pick-ups. Men do love a manly garage sale and every one was lonely and talkative, or so I was told. I felt sorry for the ones who wanted a little something to buy that didn't cost them an arm or leg. Next time I am going to have a table of those extra hand tools that seem to reproduce themselves, filling up every shelf and nook in the garage.

One lady drove up and waited till 8:00 and then asked "Where are "Willo's things?" She should have been invited in to pick out what ever she fancied. I was flattered, even so. Maybe I will have to set up a table of the things that multilpy in my kitchen drawers and on my book cases; such as the lonely lead crystal swan who lost her mate in the last house cleaning episode. He lost his head with one swat of a long handled duster and crashed to the floor.

Yesterday He Who... went to a funeral while I had my quarterly visit to my Nurse Practitioner. My blood pressure fluctuated in the office and I was told to take it at home several times before Thursday. It fluctuates here as well and my pulse races from 83 to over a hundred. I don't know what that is all about. It seems to occur with a whirling bout of vertigo.

Maybe I am just giddy over our recent computer crash. We purchased a new tower that wasn't compatible with our printer. It is going back to the store as I type. The old tower is being updated and the data has been recovered. It is not exactly like 'the same old w____ in a different dress,' but more like the same one with different underwear. I rather like shiny new things; but then new "underwear" is always nice too.

We are now reading "Frederic Remington's Own West: Written and Illustrated by Fredric Remington." Remington is as gifted with the pen as with the brush and we are enjoying his ability to describe his surroundings, the people he rides with, and the bloody incidents with the buffalo soldiers. TV violence is a poor comparison to our own bloody past with those that first peopled our land.

We are ever aware of the power of the printed word.

No comments: