Saturday, August 15, 2009

1959

Fred Kaplan, one of the writers for slate.com, has written a book, titled what the New York Times calls an extravagant, impossible declaration, 1959: The Year Everything Changed.

"Was this just coincidence, or was it part of a pattern? Was there something more broadly significant about that time? The more I looked into it, the more it struck me that 1959 really was a pivotal year—not only in culture but also in politics, society, science, sex: everything."

I watched Kaplan being interviewed on CSPAN's "Washington Journal yesterday. The year, 1959 was a part of my own imprint and as I listened to the different events, discoveries, and people he listed as a changing our society I came to this conclusion.

As everything was changing I got stuck with my Sony Walkman while the whole world is stepping to an IPOD.

1 comment:

Hildred said...

As I recall, Willo, our three older children, who were born in the late '40's, spent their childhood in an entirely different world than the three who were born after the mid 'fifties. I sometimes yearn for the values and traditions of those earlier years...