Tuesday, February 02, 2010

That Eyeglass Thing

We have all been there, trying on a newly ordered pair of eyeglasses, with the chart of deminishing lettering at the top and becoming larger as you read on down the card.  Have you ever, really read that card?  I did when I got new glasses after the cataract surgeries.

I was in for a real surprise and a new learning adventure.  It was an Epiphany for the season, we are in the fifth or sixth week of Epiphany, I think.  I actually read that card from top to bottom and I am not talking about the new glasses correction; I am talking about the words on the card...the meaning of those words.  It was an exacting rule as what size font to use in writing books with a note or two on shoulds and shouldn'ts.

The optometrist fitting my glasses copied the card for me.  As is my usual manner of routine, I cleaned out my purse and put that paper where I would need it to check against my work at hand. It is called "Standard Test Types."

Here is a little list:  These font sizes are limited to what is available here.

4 point   Small Bible
51/2 point Newspaper  Sports and Market
7 point   Newspaper   Columns
10 point  Text Books  Should be printed on dull finished paper.
11 point   Books
12 point   Books Sit with back to the light.
18 point  Children's Books ...excessive reading forbidden.

2 comments:

Hildred said...

That's very interesting Willo, - I took off my glasses and could read from top to bottom better than with them on. Perhaps that means my glasses need cleaning......? It is a number of years since I had my cataract surgery, but I have been lasered since then. So amazing what can be done. I remember my grandmother lying for days after cataract surgery with support at each side of her head ,so that she wouldn't move it.

Willo said...

I thought I might not need glasses after the new lens were placed in my eyes. Not so. I am astigmatic, which was explained that my eyes are oval instead of round.

It is so very good to see so very well again.