Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Yoiking

The charming and adventuresome husband of a niece is on a PhD adventure in Greenland.  Brant is in the final stages of his PhD program in Science Education at the University of Minnesota.  It is fun to join the group through the internet and see where they are, listen to one of the group give an oral update, and learn a lot.  A few days ago, I sent him a little note about the Sami custom of yoiking. Today I find a segment on the Sami on that 2008  web site

My first encounter with it was at FinnFest 2006 in Astoria.  These festivals include people that present research papers and one that a cousin and I attended was about yoiking.  It was one of those experiences that simply knock your socks off.  Additionally, this dear cousin yoiked a family gathering as a meal grace.  Her haunting yoik that welcomed our ancestors and honored the event was magnificent.  As the site states, "It is possible to yoik dead relatives, forgotten places and dramatic events, to make sure they do not disappear from the collective memory bank."

When one has the blessed gift of falling asleep holding hands with the one you  love, what is to complain about?  I think about Brant's sweet little wife, mother of three small children, letting go of her strong hand holder for so many weeks.  May God bless her for her generosity.



1 comment:

Hildred said...

What an interesting post, Willo - I am amazed at the wonderful things I learn from following blogs, and I find yours especially interesting. I followed the links and listened to some yoiks - a wonderful way of recording a life or as a memorial.