Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Faith vs. Fear

So what is to be fearful of? I could list a lot of thing that make me personally fearful, but that exercise would only emphasize those very things I find distressing.

I read that of all the Biblical instructions to "Fear not" is the most common. That is reassuring. On reading Amazing Love The writer states that there are 366 "Fear Not" instructions.

It was always faith that enabled me to do the things that needed doing. Over the years there were some seemingly insurmountable obstacles to a few personal endeavors I took on. Was any of it just dumb luck? I don't think so. Maybe it was a combination of prayer and Finnish Sisu.

At any rate I did accomplish a few little things. Learning to read music and play the cello when I was 65 comes to mind. The truth of that matter was to see if a TIA that ripped out some vision from both eyes, also ripped out the rest of my brains. The rest of that silly story is that my vision returned and now nearly 10 years later, I have parked the cello for a weekly dusting.

As the days pass before my eyes and in and out of my hearing aid, I do not fear this unsettling time in our world. My America is as beautiful as it was when I was being formed in 1945. Yes, I heard a lecture in which the premise was made that people form their values, their viewpoints, and their personality when they are ten years old. The perceived events, both personal and national, are held throughout life. How thankful I am for my own and the extended family that molded me as they shared their beautiful world with me.

1 comment:

Cordelia said...

Dear Willo, I've been meaning to comment. I like Psalm 4.4, which doesn't say anything about fear, but "Stand in awe and sin not; commune with your own heart upon your bed, and be still." Somewhere, early in my blog, I know I wrote about it when I was feeling fearful and trying to "still" myself. There is something about the notion of awe as a why to intepret or negotiate fear that makes sense to me, and I could say more, but am sleepy, to will leave it at that and wish you goodnight.