Sunday, March 22, 2009

Short Toes and a Hefty Gluteus Maximus

Endurance running proponents believe that being able to run for extended lengths of time is an adapted trait, most likely for obtaining food, and was the catalyst that forced Homo erectus to evolve from its apelike ancestors. More to the point, a distance-running legacy happened when 26 markers developed on the human body, including short toes, a hefty gluteus maximus and Achilles tendon, springy tendon-loaded legs, and the little-known nuchal ligament that stabilizes the head when it’s in rapid motion.

I can understand the urge to run. There was a time that I could run a fair distance at a pretty good clip. I could jump the horse pasture fence, sprint to a small grocery store/post office and race for home leaping a couple of fences on the return trip. That was during the idylic couple of years in the middle of the Black Hills in a small community of 45 folks.

So what happened, I wonder, for I still have short toes and a hefty glute. I couldn't run anywhere let alone leap a fence. Maybe someting happened to my nuchal ligament.

2 comments:

Hildred said...

Willo - good guess, but I think it has to do with more than your nuchal ligament.

How are you at getting out of chairs after sitting for an hour or so???

Willo said...

Sometimes I get down on the floor and get up again just for practice. Very low chairs are a challenge! Our 20 minutes of abdominal exercises are ever so helpful in nearly every way.

Accommodating my inability to sprint and/or work like I used to takes a good deal of attitude adjustment.

I did a fair amount of research on pain and creativity several years ago and discovered that the joy of creating (anything) overrode my pain receptors.

In other words there is nothing like distraction! (As the mothers of toddlers are well aware of.)