Tuesday, January 04, 2011

For Want of a Switcher

Perhaps I am becoming less suspicious and more trusting in my age;  at any rate I purchased an new Sony television set for our bedroom.  But the 'modern millie' thing is that I ordered it from Amazon.  I even surprised myself.  It made perfectly good sense, no tax, no shipping charges and Sony is Sony.  We have had another similar set for a few years.

It came in two days.  I couldn't believe it.  Having it delivered to the door was a huge plus, as was not having to jostle through the post holiday bargain buyers.  Amazon's price compared very favorably with the Best Buy down the street or our famous Nebraska Furniture Mart a little further on.  So it came in the door and HWMBO put it on the wall mount that a son fashioned from steel and composite for the old set.

Following the instructions I found 26 channels that we can pick up in addition to the 28 we get from Cox on their now defunct basic tier.  We were grandfathered into that when we dropped the annoying cable news channels.  Cox no longer offers it but that is fine with us, especially with the many digital channels available on this sweet TV set.

I don't mean to sound like a commercial, but I am so happy with this new Sony TV and with Amazon.  And why did we get a new set?  The "switcher" (remote control) flew off the bed so many times that many of the functions quit working.  What good is a bedroom television without a switcher?  We could no longer lower the volume, Channel 4 stopped working,  Too often we couldn't turn it off without getting up to unplug the thing.

2 comments:

Bryce Boe said...

I did almost all of my holiday shopping from the comfort of my desk via Amazon. Nearly all of the computer and electronic hardware I've purchased over the last six years has come from either newegg or Amazon. It's so wonderful.

I'm glad you like your new TV.

Willo said...

It is wonderful to be able to take advantage of online shopping!

But, sad to say, I just couldn't help but check in to see what I missed on facebook. Drat. Maybe I could remove myself and just check in every couple of weeks.