Sunday, January 30, 2011

Minding Your Business

What is it about women beyond a certain age?  I thought my own mother, bless her soul, was too outspoken.  I have followed in her footsteps, unfortunately.  For years I suffered listening to her and He Who Must Be Obeyed argue over big and little issues over our Sunday dinner table.  I swore I would never take on people that could out argue me with their tongues tied.  It was my own tongue that was tied securely for years.


Maybe as I close in on 80, being in the last half of the 70's, in the back of my mind I think what would it matter to express my thoughts.  This week I found out "the matter" at least three times; and because of the Internet it might matter as long as the Cyber-Universe does which is going to be after I am only an unpleasant memory in some descendent's mind.


The public embarrassment first happened when our city became inflamed over a mayor who is tax happy. I signed the petition for a recall.  The petition signers were published in our Omaha World Herald and are listed on the Internet by zip code.  There I am in print and online over and over.


On the afternoon of the Recall Vote two well dressed young men approached me on the sidewalk as I clambered out of the truck that is too difficult to get in and out of.  My first mistake was to quip in humor, that I could tell they were up to no good. Immediately the ABC affiliate television station camera was whipped out from behind one of the fellows.  In no time I had a microphone in my face and was smarting off answers to personal questions.  So much for the secret ballot.  My opinion was on the 5 O'clock news and the 10 O'clock news.  More people watch the news than I expected.


With a little research, I found my statements online in a video.  White hair not fixed, not one touch of makeup, brains in my back pocket for sure.  My tongue worked a little too fast, and I am horrified at the everlasting coverage. No, I am not going to give you a link to it and I hope that you can't find one.


 To make matters worse, I entered an on-line fray between my grown sons this past week.  As I type this, I would be well advised to mind my own business, sink underneath an afghan, and read a book while I can still see. I am looking for a nice pillow to comfort me under that afghan.  If I had capitalized that word this would have been a different story.

5 comments:

Hildred said...

Oh Willo, - You have my deepest sympathy, - and empathy. I find that the once timid person I was has turned into an outspoken old lady with opinions about everything, and not afraid to express them! I have not gone quite as public as you, but manage to get myself into hot water quite regularly!! Sigh.... Never mind, you will just be a one day wonder.

Willo said...

You knew just what I need now, a little sympathy. Thank you for making me feel a little more sane.

Anonymous said...

You can choose . . . all the chapters that remain and the outcome . . . it's your choice. I hope 'your book' ends well. I'm hoping for an awesome outcome.

Cordelia said...

Willo, more power to you ! I think the worst of your experience was those reporters, who shouldn't have been able to put anything on the news without your permission (which they usually get by startling the person with "may we ask you a few questions ?"). If you really want to pursue it, you can probably make a fuss if they didn't specifically ask your permission to air your response, eek. This will all pass, and I don't know if the flap with your sons was on the same topic, but why not speak up ? There's a mind in there. Let it shine.

Cordelia said...

Hi, Willo: I don't remember what I said, but I do remember that the upshot was why not ?. You are certainly not tongue-tied here, and I enjoy reading you.