Thursday, October 25, 2007

2 Timothy 3:1-9 Godlessness You must understand this, that in the last days distressing times will come. For people will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, arrogant, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, inhuman, implacable, slanderers, profligates, brutes, haters of good, treacherous, reckless, swollen with conceit, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, holding to the outward form of godliness but denying its power. Avoid them! For among them are those who make their way into households and captivate silly women, overwhelmed by their sins and swayed by all kinds of desires, who are always being instructed and can never arrive at a knowledge of the truth. As Jannes and Jambres opposed Moses, so these people, of corrupt mind and counterfeit faith, also oppose the truth. But they will not make much progress, because, as in the case of those two men, their folly will become plain to everyone.

National Geographic Magazine provides desktop wallpaper. There are truly beautiful photos to choose from. It appears that I will have to resort to other people's autumn photos for my fall colors. I am still hoping the back yard pear tree will develop its usual display.

Today was one of those bright but crisp sunny calm days that calls for a person to be outside even if they have to invent a purpose...other than reading in the hammock with a blanket. I moved some rocks, sacked up some tomatoes and flowers that will surely freeze in a few days, and and rolled up a couple of hoses. Working in my back yard is one of life's pleasures. This afternoon was especially good.

By the time He Who Must Be Obeyed came home from a day of cleaning carpets I was ready to share the left over meatloaf, acorn squash, and baked potatoes from last night with him. Should a 74 year old man be cleaning carpets? Now he thinks he should do a couple of our own rooms. I don't think so. But he is filling up Rug Doctor as I speak so what can I say.

1 comment:

Hildred said...

Willo, you are right in saying Marcus
Borg is controversial, and I have not been able to open my mind fully to him yet. However, this story makes me feel more a-kin to him, - I've always been attracted To Wordsworth's "trailing clouds of glory".