Thursday, October 18, 2007

Prophetic Radio

Yesterday as I got ready to spend some time with seven former co-workers, I curled and halfheartedly listened to a program on elders and falling on National Public Radio. We fall because we and our homes are old, we fall because of our poor vision, our poor balance, and the hazards of our housekeeping.

Our hostess had a newly remodeled kitchen and we gathered to laugh around the table. I wasn't laughing a whole lot, as just prior to sitting down for lunch, I misjudged a step and fell. Falling at my age is startling to say the least, and it seemed to be as equally amazing to the observers.

Being on the floor is a familiar place for me. Cleaning can do that to you, as can just about everything about life. Sometimes I get down just to practice getting up again. So yesterday, I had an impromptu opportunity to practice getting up once again.

Just a note of personal observation, we old folks seem to be falling for a lot of reasons, we fall for scammers, we fall for pleas for cash, we fall for telemarketers, we fall for the lies we are told, we fall for things we would never have fallen for a couple of decades ago. Maybe a fall or two will sharpen up my brains a little; as well as my ability to get up and take another try at life.

No comments: