Thursday, July 09, 2009

One Thing or Another...Thing

During our small trip and family reunion I developed a toothache. Trying to ignore it became impossible. Now after being home four days, I got in to see my dentist this morning early. Finding the painful culprit is not easy; first of all the pain meds for the back problem is masking the normal way to be aware of a problem. I think it is dangerous.

After three x-rays, a lot of thinking, and probing around with a pick, it was finally determined that perhaps I am dealing with two teeth giving me fits. The top one is temporarily filled and is cracked through vertically. It will be pulled after the dentist's vacation. In the meantime I am on an antibiotic for at least a week.

The corresponding molar on the bottom, same side, is the one that I think is the culprit. Tomorrow morning before I medicate I will go in again for the probing pick. I can see why ancient, or not so ancient, people took a rock and knocked their teeth out.

"How old are you?" Apparently when one is 74 it is time to pull teeth instead of save them to the tune of thousands of dollars. I believe before the month is out the two will make their click as they land in the pan. "They were good for at least 62 years," he said, thinking they might have come in at 12 years old.

All of this is distracting me from my house guests.

No comments: