Saturday, July 18, 2009

The Rattler's Companion

So many things to think about and so many things I could write about; I hardly know where to start.

The photo is one of clearing the overgrowth out back. I have been clearing it on my knees, a yard-waste bag at at time. It is pleasant duty for me as I work my way around the stepping stones and concrete. I can't manage a chain saw and that task is left to the one who can.

He Who Must Be Obeyed subscribes to The Sundance Times (Wyoming).In the July 9, 2009 "75 Years Ago" is this intriguing news item: "The rattlesnake and the bull snake, for centuries deadly enemies, have put aside their enmity and are crossing to produce a new breed of snake known as the rattler's companion. They resemble the rattlesnake, having the black tongue, fangs, and small diamond markings of the rattler. It also has a head similar to the rattlesnake and does battle by coiling and striking. It has no rattles and resembles the bull snake in color except that it is light yellow rather than orange. Its sharp pointed almost needle-like tail resembles that of neither snake.

Mrs. Edith Songer, who has just returned from near the Devil's Tower reports that 10 have been killed in Crook County. The United States government has issued warnings to all vicinities in which the rattler's companion has been discovered that it is to be killed. No one has been bit by one of these snakes, and the effects are not definitely known; but it is surmised that the bite would be poisonous."

No comments: