Friday, September 10, 2010

Cricket Cage

When the job moved us to Omaha in 1968 or 69, one of our little sons made a cricket cage and brought a Black Hills cricket with us in the car.  Both the cage and the singing cricket were really quite charming.  I don't know how we made it with no AC, five children, a big German Shepherd, and the cricket of course.

A few years ago I found a wire screened and plastic bug cage at a garage sale for my visiting grandchildren.  For a few summers it was filled with fire-flies but now as the grandchildren grew out of the bug stage, their grandmother has gone back into it.  The last time I was alone a few days a Praying Mantis found its way into the house and I put a door stop on it and waited until He Who Must Be Obeyed came home to save me from its prying eyes and long reaching front legs.

Last night a very loud cricket with an operatic voice sang in the living-room.  I thought I let it outside but no, as soon as I got back in bed, it began its loud song again, for a mate, I suppose.  If it tries to sing me to sleep tonight I am going to cage it and let it sing its heart out.  My only fear is that I will break its legs in my desperate attempt to get it in my cricket cage.

All of this does not sound very dignified for a grandmother.

4 comments:

Hildred said...

I have never heard of a cricket cage, Willo, but I do love to hear the crickets singing. Mind you, one in the house could make sleep a little difficult unless you got used to the rhythm and it lulled you to sleep.

Anonymous said...

It seems like cricket cages were a Japanese thing . . . some Kansas City museum memory?

Barb said...

Hello Willo, I came to visit you from Hildred's blog. I love your name - is it pronounced like the tree? I had to smile at the thought of you traveling with a car full of children, a dog, and the cricket. PS Don't worry about being dignified!

Willo said...

Ah, Barb, dignity is how shall I say it, above my pay grade maybe. Don't we simply love Hildred's blog! She is everything I wish I was/were. So I settle for reading her wonderful blog.