Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Little White High-Top Shoes

In the Ted Kooser column in the Sunday paper was an insightful verse on Parenting.  Kooser,  a Nebraskan, was the U.S. poet laureate from 2004-2006.  He included a poem about parenthood, and about letting go of children, by Chana Bloch, who lives in Berkeley, CA.

Through a Glass


On the crown of his head
where the fontanelle pulsed
between spongy bones,
a bald spot is forming, globed and sleek 
as a monk's tonsure.


I was the earliest pinch of civilization,
the one who laced him 
into shoe leather
when he stumbled into walking upright.
"Shoes are unfair to children," he'd 
grouse


Through a pane of glass
that shivers when the wind kicks up
I watch my son walk away.


He's out the door, up the street,
around
a couple of corners by now.
I'm in for life.
He trips; my hand flies out;


I yank it back.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

if only it were so