Friday, June 04, 2004

Summer Reading

My ELCA women's circle group is reading and discussing Marcus Borg's "The Heart of Christianity: Rediscovering a LIfe of Faith." Also on the front jacket is "How We Can Be Passionate Believers Today."

Marcus Borg,as you will see in the link, has been busy writing since 1987. He tipped my world in a pastor led study of "Meeting Jesus Again for the First Time" a couple of years ago.

Not exactly crawling out from under a rock, or falling off a wagon, he has his doctor's degree from Oxford University. In this second book that I am reading he states his Scandanavian Lutheran background.

He is readable, makes sense to me in my own view of what it is to be Christian. Why am I doing this or even writing about this? Because I see such polarity between Christian faith groups today. If that were not the case, we all could get on with living life the way it was meant to be lived. In my own opinion too much energy goes into proving points, thus losing sight the big picture.

No comments: