Wednesday, June 02, 2004

Watching Men Work



Bronze sculpture always fascinates me. Watching men work is infinately more interesting than watching them dance. This morning we parked our own work ethic and drove to the Missouri Riverfront Park. There to my amazement was a million dollar work titled "Labor". Four men and one woman depicting just that.

One of the figures is a blacksmith working at an anvil. My own father was a blacksmith and often, after school, I would watch him work between his forge and his anvil, with red hot metel grasped in his tongs, other arm above him with his heavy hammer. I have always loved to watch men work.

This was the perfect morning, perfect sculpture, perfect setting with the Missouri taking its prairie topsoil to the Lousiana Delta.

Good Job, Matthew Placzek!

No comments: