Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Home Alone

We are home alone.  It could get as dangerous as it was for the kid left behind in the movie. 

He Who Must Be Obeyed has been up on the roof with a compressor driven tar gun squirting tar under the cedar shakes.  He found the leak after running a hose on the roof for an entire day.  My job is to adjust the air pressure as the gun empties.  A few years ago  he came down from a ladder and was in a wheel chair for four months after hitting the concrete driveway.  Old men should stay off of ladders.  Old women should mind their own business. But life isn't perfect and neither are we.

I heard a former high school student of mine on the noon news.  He is now the Director of the  Strategic Air and Space Museum between Omaha and Lincoln, NE.  The Tuskegee Airmen are having a reunion there this weekend.  I always love to hear this young man speak about the events at the SASM as he is very articulate and very handsome as well.  Teachers love it when former students go on to make this world a better place.  This fellow is also the current President of the School Board.  It would be a good place to start a political career, in my estimation.

His younger brother took my courses also and a few years after he graduated, their mother asked me if I would mind if she took TV Production I and II.  I certainly didn't mind so she joined one of my production crews for a year.  It was great for me to have an adult in my classes. I enjoyed it.  The high school students seemed agreeable to it but they grumped a little when she didnt' join them for the quizzes and tests.  She did complete all the assignments.  The younger brother went on to Princeton Divinity School and thier mother is teaching at the University of Nebraska at Omaha.  An honorable family. I am blessed to have been a small part of their lives.

 

No comments: