Tuesday, July 20, 2004

Mind Filler

The call came from my church office.  It appears some folks haven't paid for their donated altar flowers, bless their souls.  Shall we go to the senior pastor?  Not yet, we decided.  I am on the Altar Guild and as such agreed to be the telephone liason between the people signing the flower chart for the year, the florist we contract with, and the church secretary who writes up the little note of the giver and the occasion of the gift  or "for the glory of God." Now how glorious can unpaid flowers be when the church gets the bill?
 
I can't think of that right yet.  In two weeks we will be giving flowers with thanks to God for 50 years of marriage without either murdering one another, running off with the first better thing, or divorce.  But I won't have all that in the bulliten or flashed on the big screen on either side of the altar.  The screens overpower the altar and the entire chancel.  I don't know if that is symbolic or not. 
 
My mind at the moment is all filled up with the sexuality study and after being married for so long it is much easier to say those words in it than it would have been when I was younger and thought sex was a private affair.  I guess affair isn't quite the correct word.  It was private. Everything about it was private.
 
My mind isn't completely filled up with that.  I have been to a granddaughter's wedding reception and met a lot of folks I never knew, saw some I did know, and enjoyed the whole thing a lot.  I have some photos to prove I was there and how young everyone looked, or not.
 
More mind filler is the fact that I have a lot of books piling up and not getting finished.  If I didn't ever turn on a television set at night, I would be better off in more ways than I care to list.
 
At the moment we have five of my favorite houseguests with us.  I swam with my 10 year old grandson this morning right after I looked in the mirror and discovered my face was red and swollen from the steroids I am taking.  They are pills this time and not the epidural.  But I think they are going to work and I am pretty much pain free.  We had three races across the pool and tied two of them and I beat him the third time.  You can believe that made me feel good.  I probably shouldn't have tried so hard to beat him.  I told him to brush up on his breast stroke and we would try it another day.
 
Our oldest son, his wife and three of their five are here from north of Seattle.  We share them with the other grandparents.  It is the best time of the year for us.  We look forward to their time with us and remark to one another after they leave what fun we had with them.  One turns 13 tomorrow and one turns 16 on Friday.  I think we should have two birthday parties.
 
The heat index was 110 today.  I love hot weather when the AC runs and the pool is warm.  Grilled rib eye and corn on the cob make for a wonderful Nebraska summer meal.  Swimming this evening in an 88 degree pool in 90 degree weather is an unbeatable combination for this old woman on steroids.  I wonder if that had anything to do with my beating the swimming races this morning?  Hmmmm.

No comments: