Monday, July 31, 2006

FinnFest

The week in Astoria was the best. Seven days with my aunt's family in that mossy northwest was nirvana, the ideal condition of rest, harmony, stability, and joy. Six women spending three days together without men around created the type of bonding that might happen to nuns on a holiday. When the men started joining the group the dynamics immediately changed. They cooked and we ate.

FinnFest 2006 reinforced the love of my heritage. I loved the familiar food, the humor, the varied music, and being able to listen to published papers on the culture. A cousin and I got carried away with yoiking and she yoiked a beautiful blessing for our Cave Hills dinner in Astoria on Saturday. Mother and I were yoiked in Finland although we didn't know what to call it then. We were mesmerized by it and knew it was other-worldly. The dinner yoik was equally enchanting.

No comments: