Friday, January 28, 2005

Life's Passages

Years ago a brother-in-law recommended I read "Passages: Predictable Crises of Adult Life"" by Gail Sheehy. I read it. I have gone through the whole book, literally, and find myself in Part Seven: Renewal, or at least a No-Panic Approach to Physical Aging, and a Redefined Attitude Toward Money, Religion and Death.

It is strange how a person can progress from "Setting Off on the Midlife Passage" to decline and decay so fast you don't know what happened. I have gotten to the point that I can even talk about the worst time in my life and not get a knot in my stomach and a clutch in my throat over it. At one time I was quite desperate over it. I hied myself off to a psychiatrist who asked me why I was sitting across the desk from him. "I am here for suicide prevention." I can recall how calmly I told him that, and how quickly he found me a counselor who helped me climb that mountain. Prevention is good in any one of life's critical passages. I know that some are not preventable. Some are, thank God.

I wonder why it is that when a person finds life so delicious, so comforting, so blessed with relationships, time, and home; why, I wonder doesn't that come sooner in life. Perhaps it does with some people. I am thankful for it right now. Instead of being fleeting, here today, gone tomorrow; it goes on for me daily...weekly...monthly. I certainly enjoy being seventy.

No comments: