Friday, January 14, 2005

Lutheran Gay Policy: Same But Different?

In the Omaha World Herald this morning, the staffwriter, Angie Brunkow, quotes our Nebraska ELCA Bishop, David deFreese, "What we need to say as clearly and strongly as we can is that we have a wonderful tradition of putting issues up on the door, nailing issues up on the door and inviting discussion."

As it was in Germany for Martin Luther, this IS an explosive matter. In our own little St. Timothy's Lutheran church, the discussion across the table last summer was sometimes heated and people differed. It was no different in my own kitchen across that table over ice-cream.

The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America task force on policies of homosexual clergy and same-sex unions is essentially requiring clergy to remain celibate outside marriage. It also recommends that the church maintain its stance against same-sex blessings. At the same time it gives local church leaders more flexibility in deciding whether to discipline congregations that ordain gays and lesbians in committed relationships.

The 'plink' (pink link) above takes you right to the horses mouth, so to speak. When I googled ELCA this came up in an article in The Christian Post: " Reformed leaders within the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) called the denomination’s January 13 report on homosexuality “duplicitous” and “disingenuous,” and criticized it as nothing more than an “attempt to avoid an outright schism” in a theologically split denomination."

A theologically split denomination! Is it really that bad? Maybe I just choose not to notice.

The Sioux City Journal quotes the Iowa Bishop, the South Dakota Bishop and also deFreese from Nebraska. Quoting The Rev. Delwyn L. Oliver, chaplain of the Western Iowa Synod's Sioux City Conference: "I know there are those who are upset that the recommendations did not go far enough, either to the right or to the left," Oliver continued. "Some people will find my opinion to be blasphemous. Is it not time that we recognize that we are all sinners in need of God's grace and that by casting stones at others for their 'sins,' we foolishly attempt to divert God's attention away from our own sins."

I am realizing that with each article I read, I read it through my own myopic lens. I focus on those statements that I agree with and am horrified by the ones I don't. Is this how churches blow up?

I found a great deal of comfort in the Salty Vicar's list of "What I love about the Episcopal Church." We Lutherans would do well to think about what it is we love about our heritage, while growing into a communion that lovingly accepts those different from us. Yes, even those that love the contemporary service.



No comments: