Friday, January 21, 2005

Washington National Cathedral

The Prayer Service at the Washington National Cathedral this morning was meaningful and beautiful. C-SPAN does us a service by broadcasting what it does. I am grateful that I was able to experience it.

Ronan Tynan, the soloist, could bring one to tears with "How Great Thou Art" and "Ave Maria." Whoever was responsible for arranging this service is to be commended. It was everything this Liturgical Lutheran could ever wish for to enhance worship.

Rev. Mark Graig from Dallas was chosen to deliver the sermon. It is nice to know that we each have 86,400 seconds each day to use as we wish. Internalizing that I am humbled to think how I have squandered this gift, day after day.

The offering could have been used in any number of ways. It was proper that it be used for our service people and their families.

If I am not mistaken, the circular stained glass window is the same as that in Nedros Cathedral in Norway. Perhaps it is only similar. Our National Cathedral is the 6th largest in the world.

The inauguration ceremonies were inspiring in spite of what the British press says. So they mock and make fun of Bush's speech. Personally I thought it was filled with hope. What, I say, is wrong with hope?

No comments: